Does exposure to black mold lead to itchy throat and cough with phelgm?

I have had a itchy throat and cough with phelgm for about 2 weeks now. I'm 37 weeks pregnant and have been seen given amoxicilion by Dr. Just recently my sister found in our new apartment water damage. She's afraid I have possibly been exposed to black mold. I haven't seen any but she said it could be behind the dry wall. Can I have been exposed to mold? What are symptoms?
Posted Sun, 5 Jan 2014 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: Too early to bother. Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, I do understand how disturbing and concerning these symptoms could be, especially with a pregnancy status. However, I do think you really need not worry much with respect to the mold for two main reasons. First, the clinical scenario you describe really does not tie with the clinical presentation of a mold infestation. Secondly, a mold infestation is very easy to diagnose and treat, and the throat is NOT a very common site of mold infestation. Your doctor certainly did a clinical review before prescribing an antibiotic. A physical examination of the throat easily tells whether the problem is bacterial, viral, or of other origin. It is very difficult to miss out such a diagnosis. IN the case of mold, the symptoms are usually not very spectacular, appear very very slowly, generally not accompanied by neither pain nor itches at the onset, and generally have a characteristic dark to grey coloration. The clinical findings you describe make the diagnosis of mold very very unlikely. However, you should take your drugs as prescribed by your doctor. In case symptoms persist or aggravate, do not hesitate making this known to your primary care doctor. Please, feel free asking follow up questions in case you have any specific concerns. I shall be glad making my humble suggestions. Kind regards as I wish you the best of health. Dr Bain
Follow-up: Does exposure to black mold lead to itchy throat and cough with phelgm? 21 hours later
Thank you for your help
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Thank you too Detailed Answer: Thanks so much as I wish you the best of health. Kind regards Dr Bain