Does drinking beer regularly increase hemoglobin levels?

does drinking beer regularly -about 2 beers a day increase haemoglobin levels
Posted Thu, 3 Oct 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Guru 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is not advisable

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for consulting HealthcareMagic!

Though beer can increase absorption of iron, it is not advised to increase the levels of hemoglobin. Medically speaking, anything used as medicine should make benefits that outweigh the risks. But, this wont be the case with your point of- two beers a day being used to raise hemoglobin. You can have many health risks with such amount of alcohol when compared to its effect on hemoglobin. So, it is not advisable for this purpose.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, please let me know!
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

If you like my answers and wish me to answer in future, bring it to my attention: Dr Vasanth. Url link is as follows:
Wish you good health
Follow-up: Does drinking beer regularly increase hemoglobin levels? 15 minutes later
My haemotocrit had increased once to about 59.2, haemoglobin 20.4 ( was drinking 2 glasses of wine and beer daily prior that). With diagnosis from a heamotologist, did the JAK2 DNA Test, Bone marrow test found all normal, EPO 4.4. Did phlebetomies to bring the haemotocrit down to 45. It stayed constant at that for 6 months- did not drink any alcohol in that period. After that was having about a couple of beers daily and my hametocrit has slowly creeped up from 45 to 50.6 in 3 months.
Does drinking about 2 -3 beers daily increase haemoglobin levels. Do I need to stop drinking totally to keep my haemoglobin levels in check. I am a 41 year old male.
Answered by Dr. Guru 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
It may not be beer alone

Detailed Answer:

I do not think that it is just beer that is causing such an elevation in Hb(Hemoglobin) and hematocrit levels. There are variety of other causes which might lead to this. Some of which include certain heart and lung disorders, excessive smoking and a blood disorder called polycythemia vera. Compared to these, beer causing such an elevation is comparatively lesser. However, consumption of such an amount of beer daily is not at all advised.

You need to discuss with your treating doctor to evaluate for the conditions I have mentioned.

Hope I have answered your query. You can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Wish you good health
Follow-up: Does drinking beer regularly increase hemoglobin levels? 2 hours later
Please not I am a non smoker, do not have any heart or lung disorders. I have consulted a reputed haematologist,he has ruled out PV (Polycythaeimea Vera) as I have done all the requisite tests (gene and Bone marrow)as mentioned above which were in the negative. His diagnosis is erythrocytesis, and recommended low dose ecosporin daly. He does not know the actual reasons for the Hb increase.
From frequent monitoring of my CBC, Pls note below:
When I was totally off alcohol for about 6 months due to job requirements Hct was steady on 43 .
After that I had a glass of wine, my Haemotocrit (Hct) increased from 43.4 to 49.2 in just 3 weeks.
After that I was again off booze for a month it was steady .
I resumed routine drinking of couple of beers daily, it has again increased from 49.2 to 50.6 in about 2 months.
I totally avoid dietary foods and drugs which may contain iron. Except for this disorder I consider myself very healthy with fit. I excersie regularly at my local gym. This disorder has left me worried as no one can pinpoint what the actual reason is and neither there is any medication for it.
Can you throw some light on this ?
Answered by Dr. Guru 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the follow up.

When you are observing that there is direct correlation between your beer consumption and these reading, then it is better to cut down. It may be possible but this your the abnormal lab values. However, do frequent follow ups with your hematologist to identify other rare possibilities as well.

Take Care!