Does diabetes cause pungent smell in nose and stool and amnesia ?

Question
I have had an extremely strange smell in my nose for over a month it never goes away only subsides mildly. It reminds me of my uncle that had diabetes( he had to give himself insulin injections ) but even stranger the scent is also in my stool as well..sometimes usually morning it is on my breath.now I have asked 3 family members to smell my breath but they say they do not detect any strange odor! Perhaps I am nuts , yesterday I couldn't remember my home address when I was renewing my car registration!I am 34 and have 2 children last one was born 2 years ago . I have hep c.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Sunil.N 1 hour later
Hi

I read the history in detail, I will be able to guide you properly if get the following details.

1. The smell of odor, is it pungent type (seen in nasal causes) or rotten egg/putrified odor (seen in oral causes)
2. Frequent headaches ( in case of sinusitits)
3. Does your whole body smell the same odor.
4. Do you any dental problems like caries.?
6. How is your blood sugar levels?Is it normal or high?
7. Do you have any difficulty in recalling the place you work, family members name, how many times did it happen in the past?

Since others are not able to point the strange smell, you should not worry too much. As you pointed out about Hepatitis C, I suggest for regular check up with your doctor, since the chances of conversion into chronic hepatitis is more.

Check for Diabetes, Liver disease, Acid reflux when you see your doctor for routine examination.

Regards.

Follow-up: Does diabetes cause pungent smell in nose and stool and amnesia ? 24 hours later
It is a pungent chemical sweet smell , sometimes it resembles the hangover booze- like smell.most often it is like a sweet pungent Smell like u would smell at vetranarian -perhaps iodine,with a little acetone.

Answered by Dr. Sunil.N 13 hours later

Acid reflux, ketosis are two conditions I could think of.

Follow these tips for a week and let me know:
1) Abstain from alcohol
2) Brush twice a day and floss after every meal
3) Take PRILOSEC 20mg before breakfast for a week
4) Restrict odorous food like garlic, onion
5) Ample amounts of water like 12 glasses per day

These should show some improvement. The problem is better addressed by a dentist.

Wish you Good Health.