Does defuse rib cage causes breathing problems?

defuse rib cage can it cause breathing problems? my daughter is young, suffer from spondylocostal dysostosis type 1
Posted Sat, 3 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 hours later
The breathing problems in case of spondylocostal dysostosis depend on the degree of deformity of the thoracic cage or the chest wall. Some children may be very healthy and grow up to lead normal lives.
However, many children suffer from problems of respiratory insufficiency secondary to volume-restricted thoraces. These individuals do often develop pulmonary complications and breathing problems due to lesser volume of the thoracic cage.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.