Does completing a full 4 day course of prednisone increase WBC count ?

Two weeks ago, I took prednisone (40 mg/day) due to doctor sent me in for blood work. I tested with high blood sugar and high (0000) white blood cell counts. I am not concerned about the blood sugar. I am worried about the white blood cell count. My doctor had me go back today for more bloodwork to make sure the WBC count was coming down or back to normal. He thinks the high count was due to the prednisone. Me, I'm a hypochondriac who thinks I have leukemia or bone cancer. I am a female, 46 years old, 5'3" tall, 195 lbs. I have polycystic ovarian syndrome, hypothyroidism, asthma, allergies, depression, bipolar disorder, IBS. I am a nervous wreck waiting for the results of this second blood test (I should mention that I had a CBC done on March 7 that was perfectly normal). Can you help settle me down?
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thank you for your query.

I will try to provide you with some helpful information and recommendations regarding your question here. Let me start off by saying that I feel very strongly that the reason why your white blood cell count was elevated was secondary to the prednisone therapy.

Prednisone as well as medical steroids in general is a well known to cause an elevation of the white blood cell count. These medications caused some white blood cells which are normally stuck to the inside of blood vessels to begin circulating in the body. This increase in circulating white blood cells tends to generate an abnormal CBC with an elevated total white blood cell count.

We see this very commonly as physicians. In addition to the fact that your white blood cell count is coming back toward a normal range after discontinuation of the prednisone is even more reassuring.

I fully understand your anxiety and worry about the elevated white blood cell count. Let me reassure you that this certainly does not reflect any underlying disease process. There is no possibility of leukemia in your case.

Thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you have found my answer to be both helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns regarding this health matter. I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert.