Does change in water cause hair fall problem?

Dec 2013

Recently i moved to bangalore and the change in water causing more hairfall of late and i am worried of going bald. What are the main factors of hair fall. My age 28 and i am a male.
Posted Thu, 23 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Kindly see details below Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome and thanks for posting your query to healthcare magic. I can understand the concern for the hair loss. There can be mutiple of factors leading to hair fall in yourself at your age. I will explain you in simple terms so that you can understand it better. Medically we know that we have almost 1 lac hair on our scalp and amongst them around 5% of hair are in falling phase and then another 0.1% (around 100) of hair can fall everyday. So you can get that the number of normal hair falling varies from few hair to up to 50-100 per day. Now if your hair fall is more than 100s per day then it is definitely a problem. In males this is super-added by hormonal influence of testosterone hormone (the male hormone) which we call as "male pattern baldness". This also depends upon genetics- meaning type and pattern of hair your family pattern (from your father and mother's side). So "male pattern baldness" is most common cause of hair fall in young men like you. This process of falling starts by 18-20 years and is highest in between the age of 20 to 30 years. I can see you are a young man of 28 years. So it is quite obvious that you can have this problem of hair fall just because of hormonal influence. Other than hormonal influence it can be due to dietary imbalance, any long term illness, any stress, poor scalp hygiene, any scalp problem and due to substance abuse like alcohol or cigarettes. I request you to please kindly elaborate your query in detail so that I can help you best regarding the hair fall issue. Kindly elaborate the problem in terms of - - Since how long you have the problem of hair fall. - Around How many hair fall off daily. - Is there any itching or dandruff along with hair fall. - Any illness or stress event in last 2 years. - How is your family pattern; meaning pattern of hair in males of your father's and mothers side (any one suffering from baldness in your mother's side specifically) - Any history of substance abuse like smoking and or alcohol or any thing related. - Do you eat healthy diet containing fruits and sprouts. - Your job profile and your daily routine. Hope to hear soon from your side to help and guide you best for your condition. With good health wishes, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD- Dermatology
Follow-up: Does change in water cause hair fall problem? 8 minutes later
Dr thanks for apt reply please find the xtra information you asked for -i have this problem about two years -my father /grand father became bald very late in 50s -i dont smoke/drink -i eat sprouts and friuts -i work 8hours a day and of late i am going to bed late or missing deep sleep -i dont have itching or dandruff and i take shower by head daily ans shampoo it twice a week. I believe water in area is bit hard .
Brief Answer: Details below Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to the forum again and thanks for your prompt reply. I am highly thankful to your for sending me the details so that I can help you better. Before proceeding any further let me first guide you that you will not get bald and the above problem is temporary. Most of the things are in your favor including your diet and your familial pattern. Now after correlating all the facts I can get that you have this problem because of bit of hormonal and more of stress related issue. We quite often feel it because of change of water but it is mainly the stress par which causes the sudden fall of hair. Water in itself does not have much implication on hair fall. The stress if remains for more than a few weeks period leads to sudden fall of hair in next few weeks of period and then we correlate all the things on change of water or hardness of water. So the first and foremost of the part is reduce your stress if any. Take the best of sleep you can. Do not wake till late night. Do some relaxation exercises. Yoga would be the best therapy for your stress as well hair part. Now regarding the part of treatment: There are innumerable products in the market claiming to be useful for hair growth. We dermatologists believe in application of Minoxidil lotion. It is one product which is unanimously used by all dermatologists. It is to be started with 2% lotion applied over the scalp once or twice in day. It is to be applied when the scalp is dry. Only 1 ml is sufficient to be applied at the root of hair in scalp region. Taper it off slowly alternate day or off and application of lotion before stopping it completely. You can take a tablet containing Acetylcysteine, Calcium Pantothenate, Selenium, Zinc, Biotin, Copper as active ingredients. You can take these vitamins in the form of biotin, calicium pantothenate and other vitamin B complexes. Do light exercises; reduce your work stress as all these have bit impact on skin so also on scalp skin. I hope these information's will help you. If you have further queries I will be happy to help. "Wish you good health and early recovery from the problem" Regards, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD (Dermatology)