Does cervical length of 25 to 30mm before 32 weeks gestation increase the risk of preterm delivery?

Hello ma'am, Hope you are doing well. I am writing this enquiry about a concern. I was out in a shopping mall yesterday for about 2 hours (standing and walking) and then had a feeling of some discharge and little pressure from vagina. I immediately went and sat in my car and then came back home. I checked later and it was very little white discharge. I still have a mild feeling of uneasiness in vagina. Thereafter, I noticed my Cervix length in the last scan report to be 31mm (report attached). I was reading some online articles on some clinical studies and also the webiste BabyCentre, and read that "A cervical length of 25–30 mm before 32 weeks gestation seems to increase the risk of preterm delivery". As I had a laporoscopic myamectomy in March 2012, I might have some risk attached to my pregnancy. Do you think I might have a shortened cervix? Please let me know as I am getting worried. If I have some risk involved, I have to discuss with my doctor about the possible precautions. Eagerly waiting for your reply. Thanks, XXXXX
Posted Sat, 11 Jan 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 4 hours later
Brief Answer: As per criteria, you do not have a short cervix. Detailed Answer: Hi Ms. XXXXX, Thanks for writing to me. As per the criteria, you do not have a short cervix. Yes, if the cervix is about 25 mm., some threat may be expected and this is more so if it is less than 15 mm. Your symptoms perhaps happened due to prolonged standing. In future please do not strain yourself so much; do not climb stairs or go over fast escalators. You could use a lift instead. Here is an article I would like you to go through, the URL of which I am enclosing. WWW.WWWW.WW So, testing for fetal fibronectin if available, is a good way to detect the risk early on. Your myomectomy does not have anything to do with the length of your cervix,unless it involved part of the cervix. Moreover, subserous fibroids do not affect a pregnancy unlike submucous ones. Please relax, take rest and enjoy your pregnancy. You should definitely mention any symptom to your consultant at your next visit, which I think you are due now and discuss about the possibility of a threatened pre-term labor so that the necessary precautions may be taken. Hope your query has been clarified. Please get back for any more clarifications. I will be ready to help. regards, Shanti.V.