Does bending,lifting,shoulder pain will have any effect on the compression fracture?

Question
Hi I fell 6 days ago. MRI showed a stable compression fracture of T12 and L1. I was told my fracture would heal but wearing a brace would help it heal correctly. I was told I could take it off when sitting in a recliner at home, bathing and sleeping. Also told not to bend, twist, or lift anything with or without the brace on. I dont have any lower back pain. My butt hurts when I sit down. I was told my tailbone was fine. I also have pain across the top of my shoulders. My follow up appt is not for 3 mths. Wondering if this sounds reasonable?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later
Hi Shanda,

I can understand your concern for this pain. The vertebral column bones are very strong and tough and it requires a considerable amount of force to cause any compression fracture. It is quite common in elderly people due to osteoporotic changes in the spine but at your age ( young age), it requires too much pressure on the vertebral body to cause a fracture. Most healthy vertebral bones can withstand a lot of pressure and the spine will bend to absorb the shock. However, if the force is too great for the vertebrae to sustain then a compression fracture at T11-12 or L1 result (commonest due to curvature of the spine here).

This tailbone and shoulder pain is not related to the fracture and the MRI has ruled out any tailbone fracture. This pain that you are having is due to the impact of the forceful injury on these structures that is causing this pain. If the fracture is caused by a sudden, forceful injury, you will probably feel severe pain in your back, legs, arms, shoulders, upper back and neck and even sometimes abdominal and thigh pain. There can be associated numbness and tingling also. Secondly it can be due to muscle strain during the impact of injury that is causing this pain.

I suggest you to apply cold compresses on your tailbone and shoulders and take some prescription form your doctor. You can also follow certain lifestyle measures which can help you with this pain. Avoid sitting down for long periods of time especially on hard surfaces. If you have to sit down on a stool or bench, then use a "doughnut" cushion or pillow to sit on which has a hole in the middle of it to prevent the tailbone from contacting the flat surface. Also try to avoid direct weight on the tailbone and eat a diet XXXXXXX in fiber to avoid any constipation which may aggravate the pain.

Wear the braces as suggested because it is the first line of treatment. If the pain persists then get a CT scan of the area done which is one of the better investigations for detecting any bony fractures.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Does bending,lifting,shoulder pain will have any effect on the compression fracture? 11 hours later
Thanks so much for the answer above. I was told 3 mths to heal since Im not a smoker. Do these fractures ever heal an sooner or is there anything I can do to help it heal faster? I also am supposed to be in a wedding in 3 weeks. Can I take off the brace and go without it for a few hours or am I just going to have to wear it with my dress? Didnt know if it would hurt to be without it for a few hours since I was told I didnt have to wear it sitting around the house or in bed.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 25 hours later
The minimum time required for the healing of any fracture in the body is 6 weeks and majority of the fractures heal by 9-12 weeks.

You should ensure that you drink a glass of milk or a bowl of curd twice a day as the dairy products are a XXXXXXX source of calcium.

Taking some vitamin D which usually comes in a XXXXXXX form also ensures good absorption of calcium and better healing of the fractures.

You should wear the brace while going for the wedding as some movement always occurs when one goes out, howsoever cautious one may be. Hope this answers your query.

If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.