Does benadryl lower blood pressure? Taking Bystolic and Lisinopril.

does benadryl lower blood pressure. I currently take 10 mg of bystolic and 10mg of lisinopril
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 1 hour later
Thanks for posting the query.

After reading your history I understand that you are suffering from hypertension and are currently on bystolic and lisinipril tablets.

Now coming to the question regarding Benadryl. Benadryl contains Diphenhydramine which is an anti histaminic. In elderly people like you (age more than 60 years) it has the potential to cause unwanted side effects like dizziness, sedation, and hypotension (lowering of BP). Thus please remember that lowering of blood pressure is a potentialy unwanted side effect of benadryl and hence "BENADRYL SHOULD NOT BE TAKEN PER SAY TO LOWER BP!"

For management of you high blood pressure please visit your physician regularly and accordingly adjust your medications as per the advice of your Physician.

In addition to drugs, the following steps will help you:
- regular exercises
- eating balanced diets
- avoiding drinks
- avoiding smoking
- salt intake should be decreased in your diet

Hope I have answered your question. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.