Does air pressure affect an injured hip?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello I fell yesterday on my hip. I am a healthy 48 year old woman who is slightly overweight but nothing crazy. Today I have a huge lump (no brusing yet) and cannot get a dr's appointment until tomorrow. Beside ice is there anything I can do for it? Is there anything I should be overly concerned with? I am sure it isnt broken. I am at work today and can walk on it with a little limp. I am supposed to be traveling to Aurba on Friday. Should I be concerned with the plane's air pressure for some reason? Thank you
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sangeet 1 hour later
Hello Minnie,

If it had been a fracture, you wouldn't be able to walk and it would be very painful too. Its not so easily that a 48 year old's hip fractures lest you fell off badly or had some pre-existing problem with your hip.

Though there's no emergency at this moment, I would advise you to get an Orthopaedician's appointment as you are planning to travel. Because, you could be walking on a hairline crack which could progress to a complete fracture. He will evaluate you clinically and opine on whether to go for a Xray or not.

My advise-
- continue ice fomentation; it will help.
- Get some analgesics prescribed.
- Avoid bearing weight on that leg, if its so bad.
- The plane's pressure won't affect your present state.

Have a safe journey.

Hope, I have solved your query. I will be available for your follow up queries.
Follow-up: Does air pressure affect an injured hip? 4 hours later
Thank you very much for your response. I already assumed it wasnt broken but didnt think about the hairline fracture theory. Why would I get such a huge lump? The lump is the size of a grapefruit. It is sore to the touch. It is not black and blue. I also feel that my leg is a bit numb. Thank you again...
Answered by Dr. Sangeet 2 hours later
Hello again Minnie,

Thanks for writing back.

The lump is due to the inflammatory swelling and possibly localized blood collection.

If the lump is so huge, you need to give some rest to that part as repetitive movements will delay healing and increase its size.

I personally don't feel that the leg numbness should be worrisome as its transient.

Kindly continue applying ice packs to the lump and visit an Orthopaedician today to rule out a hairline fracture.

Wish you good health. Take care.

I hope your queries were answered. I will be available for further follow up.

Thank you.