Does a dark bump on the base of genital area indicate sebaceous kerratosis?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2013
Dec 2013

Dermatologist
Question
There is a small dark bump on the base of my genital area...it's been there for years, doesn't spread or itch or burn. Is it sebaceous kerratosis? or something else. I've never noticed anything else abnormal in that area.
Posted Fri, 10 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: seborrheic keratosis or "senile wart" Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome and thanks for posting your query to healthcare magic. I can understand your concern for the unusual growth over genital area. After reading your query and thoroughly analyzing your pictures I can very well reassure you that your condition is simply "seborrheic keratosis" or "senile wart". To explain you medically and scientifically- our penile skin is multiple layered structure. It is divided into superficial epidermis and deep dermis. Sometimes due to over proliferation of the superficial epidermal skin cells it erupts as simple growth which you are able to see at the base of genital area. Though generally this is seen in person above 40 years of age but less frequently we see patients even below 25 years of age or of any age group. It is totally benign growth and never turns into any type of malignancy. SO do not worry if you have any thoughts in your mind related to malignancy or any serious abnormality. The only thing is it increase in size that too very very slowly. We see this condition persisting without any problem even life long period. For the management of the same - A simple procedure of radio-frequency ablation or cautery will take it out. It requires only few minutes and no need of any bandage o dressing or covering. The healing takes place in next 4- 5 days. You can visit any dermatologist for the same. Overall it is nothing to be worried about. It is a common condition which we see quite often in our day to day practice. I hope this clears all your doubts. Tell me if you have any further quires. Wish you good health with regards, Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia (MD - Skin & Sexually Transmitted Diseases)

Follow-up: Does a dark bump on the base of genital area indicate sebaceous kerratosis? 6 minutes later
Thanks. A definite XXXXXXX of relief. Do I need a referral to see a dermatologist for the procedure? Can you send me a referral? how does that work?

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: visit skin department of Medical College Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome again to the forum and thanks for your swift follow up. I was trying to find out your location to guide you for the referral but was not able to get it. Even then you can visit skin department of Medical College Hospital near you or any dermatologist or any trained doctor in radio-frequency ablation. It is one of the most commonly done procedure by dermatologists. Radio-frequency ablation cauterizes the superficial tissue in few seconds only and there is no need of any type of further medical aid in this. It is an office procedure and not done in operation theaters so can be performed in same day visit of dermatologist. I hope this clears all your doubts. I will be glad to answer any further quires or if you do not then can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia (MD - Skin & Sexually Transmitted Diseases)

Follow-up: Does a dark bump on the base of genital area indicate sebaceous kerratosis? 53 minutes later
XXXX, TX 78504

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Kindly find the list below Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome again to the forum. I have listed some of Medical schools in XXXXXXX You can visit any of the below and take appropriate appointment for radio-frequency ablation in skin department of any of the Medical schools near you. - XXXXXXX Tech University Health Sciences Center XXXXXXX L. Foster School of Medicine; El Paso, XXXXXXX - XXXXXXX Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine; Lubbock, XXXXXXX - University of XXXXXXX Medical School at Houston - University of XXXXXXX Medical School at San XXXXXXX You can also wait as long as you want. In United states probably there is a referral system. SO you can first visit a family physician and appraise him with my diagnosis. If the doctor is able to perform then can for the same at the at level other wise can get referral form that place. I hope this clears all your doubts. I will be glad to answer any further quires or if you do not then can close the discussion and rate the answer. For any of your future queries you can visit directly on : bit.ly/drsanjaykanodia Wish you good health Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia (MD - Skin & Sexually Transmitted Diseases)