Does Welchol tablets cause constipation?

dr prescribed welchol 624 mg 3 tablets twice daily I am afraid of constipation
Posted Sat, 22 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Try to eat enough fruits, fiber and drink much wat Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about your cholesterol problems and the recent prescription of this drug. It is well known that constipation is a possible side effect of this medication. Because of this information, we can start with preventive and proactive measures to make sure this doesn't happen. Eating enough vegetable, fibers, fruits, drinking much water and exercising often would help prevent and treat this condition. Side effects should not stop you from taking a drug because there is no drug without a side effect. I will recommend that you start with this medication and see how well you tolerate it. If the side effects should become to disturbing, we can always try to look for other options to address this or change the medication entirely. In all, do not get to afraid. Constipation only occurs in 8% of all who take this medication. You may not be amongst this 8%. If you do happen to, managing constipation would be relatively easy. I will recommend you take this drug without any major fears. I hope this helps and addresses your query fully. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information if need be and clarifications. Thanks for using our services. Dr.. Ditah, MD.