Does PCR HIV 2 DNA test detect HIV 2 after 6 weeks of the possible risk?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Hi A pcr hiv 2 dna test detects hiv 2 after 6 weeks of the possible risk? Thanks
Posted Sun, 26 Jan 2014 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 1 hour later
Brief Answer: PCR for HIV Detailed Answer: Hi Mr. XXXXXXX Welcome to health care magic. PCR is a test done for viral DNA sequence or HIV RNA. It is the test of choice in the window period which ranges from 3 weeks to 12 weeks. Advantages of PCR include: 1.Highly sensitive – can detect up to 10ng of DNA. 2.Can detect pro viral DNA during window period. 3.Differentiates between HIV1 and 2 infection. This test would be conclusive if done in a reliable laboratory. I hope I have cleared your doubts. Please get back if I can assist you further. Thanks.
Follow-up: Does PCR HIV 2 DNA test detect HIV 2 after 6 weeks of the possible risk? 37 minutes later
Thanks a lot I will take the antibody test next week. At the lab they told me that pcr hiv 1 and pcr hiv 2 that i took detect both viruses 28 days after the risk. Can i rely that info? As i mentionated before, has passed 6 weeks after risk
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: HIV testing strategy Detailed Answer: Hi Mr. XXXXXXX Welcome back. PCR is a reliable test which can be done up to 12 weeks (3 months from exposure). After 12 weeks, antibody tests are more reliable. As I mentioned earlier, PCR for HIV 1 and 2 detects both types. HIV testing strategy followed is that at least two consecutive tests done should be negative to declare that person as HIV negative. I hope I have answered your queries, please get back if any more clarifications. Thanks.