Does Isotrion disturb hormones or is it a steroid? Taking it for treatment of acne.

My doctor has prescribed Isotrion 10 for treatment of Acne. I am 27 year old female and keep getting Acne back after treatment. I want to know whether Isotrion disturbs hormones or is it a steroid ? I have been treated for acne many times but it comes back again . Also I am allgrgic to many things ...I am taking MonteK LC for skin rash ans asthma due to allergy . Kindly let me know if it is safe for me to take Isotrion .I have been prescribed this for 3 months. I am not sure whether to take it or not
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Acne
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 2 hours later

Acne itself arises due to hormonal imbalance. Treatment consists of Antibiotics, Retinoids, and Salicylic acid. Isotretinoin is a type of retinoid.

Till date it is the most effective drug against acne. When given for proper indication in proper dosage with proper monitoring (blood cholesterol needs to be monitored) Isotretinoin is a wonderful drug.

Isotretinoin is not a steroid and you can definitely take it for Acne. When started it has to be taken for 3 months continuously.

While on this drug, you will feel dryness of face, scaling and cracking of the lips but it is extremely common side effect. Apply moisturizer like acnemoist on face.

Also for recurrent acne following must be considered.

What is your weight and height?
Do you have oily skin?
Do you have excessive facial hair?
Any other complaints like menstrual abnormalities?

Allergy is different issue unrelated to acne and Isotretinoin.

Hope I’ve answered your query. For any further follow up query I will be available.

Dr Sudarshan.