Does High RDW and Low MCHC,low HGB and Low HCT signify acute anaemia?

Lupus blood work f/u normal except what does High RDW (16) and Low MCHC 30.5 & low HGB 10.6, Low HCT 34.8 mean ? Is this a significant Anemia thats worrysome ? i have always been slightly anemic growing up but not down to 10.6 and was are my RDW 16. My doctor isnt concerned...
Posted Tue, 24 Dec 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 6 days later
Brief Answer: Further Work up about Anemia is suggested to find cause Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX Thanks for writing to us. Hemoglobin of 10.6 is not so low. However , cause should always be ruled out. Lupus itself can cause Hematological Involvement , Anemia is frequent in people with lupus. You should get your Kidney Functions , If you have lupus Nephritis , it can lead to anemia. However , i suppose , it must be normal as you say you have mild lupus. Plaquenil can also lead to anemia , however , it's not a well known side effect of it. You have GERD , if you have any ulcer disease also , you may consider getting a stool for occult blood. To conclude , you may discuss with your physician for workup for anemia : 1. Blood Picture 2. Serum Creatinine 3. Iron Studies (Serum Ferritin , TIBC , Serum Iron) 4. Stool for occult blood. 5. Gynaecologist consultation if you have heavy bleeding during Menses. Results would clear if you have any particular cause of anemia or it's just nutritional or due to Lupus. I hope i am able to solve your query , If still you have any query , please ask me.
Follow-up: Does High RDW and Low MCHC,low HGB and Low HCT signify acute anaemia? 9 hours later
I had a urinalysis 6 months ago and my urine was normal and my BUN and CReatinine levels are normal - so could I assume my kidneys are ok?
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes , apparently they are normal. Detailed Answer: Yes , they are normal. But since you have lupus you never know when they get stressed , so it's better to keep a watch on them. Monitor your urine analysis and kidney function 6 monthly. If you don't have any further query , please close the discussion and rate it. Stay Healthy