Does Carnitine help in weight loss?

What do you think of a protien that has carnitine on it? Like is it bad? My goal is to cut my fat which i have. I weigh 60 but still got belly fats that i want to get rid of them.
Posted Sun, 9 Mar 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: not shown to help with weight loss Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic Carnitine is made up from an amino acid and it is found in nearly all the parts of the body. It is very important in producing energy for the body to function. It carries fatty acids in a part of the cells. The fatty acid is then used to make energy, it is also involved in moving substance out of the cells. The body normally makes more than enough carnitine for its needs.The liver and kidney normally make enough to meet daily needs. Though it can be sourced mainly from animal products (meat, fish, milk) , it can be found in small amounts in some vegetables. In terms of weight loss, though it is marketed as a weight loss supplement there is no medical evidence to show how it works though some persons propose that it helps with fat loss occurs as a result of the carnitine taking fatty acids into the cells. As stated, it has not been definitely proven to help with weight loss but you can try to see if it helps you. It is important not to use more than 3 grams a day. This can cause nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain and diarrhoea. If you have abdominal fat that you want to lose, you can consider abdominal toning exercises as well. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions