Does Allopurinol cause itchiness and rash?

I am having a terriable itch and rash. Have you had anyone that is allergic to allopurnol.
Posted Sun, 16 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: Allopurinol can cause itch and rash Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query One of the side effect of allopurinol is rash, these rashes tend to be itchy. It is part of a hypersensitivity syndrome. I strongly recommend that you stop the drug, please continue antihistamine and lotions. A safer drug which provides the same effect of allopurinol is Febuxostat, please approach your physician with my recommendation I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me I wish you good health Regards
Follow-up: Does Allopurinol cause itchiness and rash? 54 minutes later
How long will it take for the allopurinol to leave the system after stopping?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: Half life is 2 hours Detailed Answer: Hello That is for getting back to me The half life of allopurinol is 2 hours so it means that within a day it is totally excreted from your system however the hypersensitivity reaction it has caused will take about 3 days to settle down. Regards