Do piles mediccation cause problems when trying to concieve?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Hi I am XXXXXXX (23) married. My last period was on XXXXXXX 16,2014. I used to have 33 days cycle. We are planning for baby. Till now everything happened good regarding planning baby for this month. The problem is for the last one week i have piles & can't able to sit for long time. Dr prescribed me Orflo, Varisil, pilex,sitcom ,Smuth syrup .But Dr. is not aware that we are planned for baby this month. now my question is " Is it safe to take these medicines during this time of conceiving if in case?". Please clarify my doubt. Thanks, XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 3 Mar 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Category C drugs in pregnancy Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for the query. Orflo contains oflaxacin with ornidazole. Varicil contains calcium dobesilate. Pilex and sitcom are herbal products. Smuth syrup contains liquid paraffin and magnesium hydroxide etc. Most of these products belong to category C drugs in pregnancy. Means animal studies showed some side effects on fetus whereas sufficient human studies are lacking. So these should be used when benefits overweight the risks. As you have not yet reached the expected date of periods, you can use the antibiotics for shorter period like 3 days. Remaining local creams and syrup you can continue till you get relief from hemorrhoids. Once you get relief, you can stop the medicines and continue with dietary management. Taking plenty of water, fluids, fruits, peas, nuts etc will relieve the constipation and prevent recurrence of hemorrhoids. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the response, please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.