Do i have mouth ulcers due to earlier head injury?

ENT Specialist
Hi, I split my head open last week playing basketball. I went to the hospital and they glued it together, which has now washed off. I am getting ulcers in my mouth and not sure if I have caught an infection. What to do?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 54 minutes later

Thanks for the query

The ulcers noticed in the oral cavity are termed as Aphthous ulcer or Canker sore. Mouth ulcers following head injury could be due to either medication related or due to the stress following head injury. They are usually seen over the buccal mucosa or over the gingival surface. It is very unlikely to be an infected ulcer.

These ulcers are self limiting; they usually heal by themselves without any sequeale.

You can try taking pain killers such as ibuprofen or diclofenac if the pain is really bothersome and also you need to take Vitamin B-complex every day till the ulcer heals-up completely. Over the counter oral steroid preparations in the gel form are available which you can apply over the affected area after food twice daily. They help in reducing the pain and inflammation .

Avoid alcohol, oily food for few days and drink plenty of lukewarm water to keep the mucosa moist and to increase the blood circulation in the affected area, so that the ulcer heals quickly.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.