Do I have normal blood pressure?

The upper number in my blood pressure readings ranges from 140-110 and normally averages out to 120-124. My lower number is always in the 70's. I exercise regularly and am in good health. Is this normal blood pressure?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 1 hour later

Thank you for proposing your query.

In people above or nearing 50, the upper blood pressure reading or systolic blood pressure is more significant than the lower (diastolic blood pressure) readings. Your lower reading or diastolic blood pressure is also normal.

The normal blood pressure is 120/80 mm Hg and you are considered pre-hypertensive if systolic pressure ranges from 120 to 139 mm Hg or diastolic pressure ranges from 80 to 89 mm Hg. Though you aren’t hypertensive, but you definitely fall in the range of Pre-Hypertension wherein it is likely to turn into hypertension if you don't make lifestyle changes, such as exercising and eating healthier.

I really appreciate that you exercise regularly and in addition to that I would want you to eat healthy foods which includes, fresh fruits, XXXXXXX leafy vegetables, whole grains and low-fat dairy products. Reduce your salt intake to less than 1.5 grams per day, maintain a healthy weight by exercising regularly, drink alcohol in moderation and please do not smoke if you do. Avoid stress, practice relaxation techniques like yoga and meditation.

There are different situations where your blood pressure might be elevated even if you are not hypertensive such as stress, anxiety, or sometimes a mere sight of a Doctor examining you with a stethoscope which is called "White-Coat Hypertension". To exclude this, I would recommend you to keep checking your Blood Pressure regularly either at home or at Doctor's office, at regular intervals. Your doctor is liable to take two to three blood pressure readings each at two or more separate appointments before diagnosing you with high blood pressure where systolic pressure ranges from 140 to 159 mm Hg or a diastolic pressure ranging from 90 to 99 mm Hg.

Hope this answers your query. Please accept my answer if you have no follow-up queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.