Dizziness while lying down, getting up, episode lasts for few seconds, on medication for heart problems, depression. Cause of concern ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Dear Dr,

When I lie down or get up I feel dizzy. They last for about 5 to 10 seconds.

Should i be overly concerned about this?

I am on medication for my heart and depression but I only have had the dizzy spells for the past week or so.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 39 minutes later
Hi

Do you experience any palpitations.

Any chest pain, headache, blurring of vision.

Any weakness of the limbs.

How has your blood pressure control been.

Have you checked your blood sugar recently.

It appears you are taking a lot of medication, some of which can cause a drop in blood pressure like Atenolol, Risperidone, Lexapro as well.

Usually this phenomenon is called Orthostatic hypotension. It is where the blood pressure drops when one stands up due to less receptive nervous system. It can occur because of drugs, Diabetes, and other causes of autonomic disturbances.

In such cases you need to sit up slowly. Move your feet like how you push against a gas pedal around 4-5 times. This helps send blood up to the heart. Also stand up after 2-3 minutes, very slowly. If you do feel dizzy, go back to sitting down.

You also need to keep well hydrated. Avoid taking extra pills that as advised by your Doctor. Low blood pressure can occur by over medication or even less water in the body.

If you try this technique and still feel dizzy, you need to consult your Doctor right away. While walking, do take the help of a caregiver to make sure you don't feel giddy and fall down.

If you experience any chest pain, shortness of breath, limb weakness it needs medical attention immediately.

Eat healthy. Drink enough water as also you are on a lot of medication which needs to be excreted by the kidney. Exercise daily. Keep your blood pressure in control.

Regarding urine control, Risperidone is also known to cause urinary retention. Are you using catheter to pass urine. Do get it changed regularly if you do as this can be source of infection which can also cause low blood pressure.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Follow-up: Dizziness while lying down, getting up, episode lasts for few seconds, on medication for heart problems, depression. Cause of concern ? 55 minutes later
Hi Dr,

I will answer your questions below;

Do you experience any palpitations. - No

Any chest pain, headache, blurring of vision. - No

Any weakness of the limbs. - No

How has your blood pressure control been. - Normal

Have you checked your blood sugar recently. - I dont think so.

My elder brother was diagnosed with diabetes recently.

I have been exercising (brisk walking) on and off. However i think i indulge in too many chocolates :(

Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 24 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up.

In that case you should get a fasting and post-prandial blood sugar check up done because Diabetes can also cause autonomic disturbance and is best if detected when not too late.

You should keep away from fatty, oily, sweet or high carbohydrate food as this can retard the response to the medication for blood pressure control and can increase risk of Diabetes especially since your brother has Diabetes as well.

Eat plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables to provide essential nutrients and also anti-oxidants and also drink enough water. Exercise daily moderately.

Keep in proper follow up with your Doctor and get essential systems like heart and kidney function assessed regularly.