Dizziness, right ear clogged, clear mucus, eyes stiff. On advil. Why do I feel lethargic?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I feel dizzy, right ear is clogged, and I have a lot of clear mucus when I blow my nose. I also feel lethargic. It feels like sea legs. I'm not taking any medication other than advil for headaches. My eyes feel stiff and it hurts to move them.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 4 hours later
You have symptoms of sinusitis and ear infection which could be either a viral or bacterial infection.Viral infections resolve on their own or with supportive treatment like antiinflammatory analgesics and mucolytics, within a week or two.
However bacterial infections do need treatment with an antibiotic for resolution or can spread and cause complications like pus formation, swelling , fever,etc
In your case the symptoms resemble more of a viral infection since the mucus is clear and you have generalised lethargy.The dizziness is due to clogging of an ear and sinus pressure.
To confirm the diagnosis, however you need to consult an ear nose throat specialist who after thorough examination can start apropriate antibiotics if needed.
You may also be prescribed anti histaminics, mucolytics like combination of levocetrizine and ambroxol along with pain killers and antibiotics.
I would advise the following for symptomatic relief ,
1.You should take plenty of water and nutritious diet for maintaining your hydration and immunity.
2.Advil or any antiinflammatory analgesic containing ibuprofen and acetaminophen may be taken every 6_8 hourly as per your doctors prescription.Anti histaminics combination containing levocetrizine or chlorpheniramine may also be taken if prescribed by your doctor.Do not take this medications on empty stomach and ensure a regular full diet.
3.Avoid blowing your nose forcibly as it may cause eardrum perforations and sinus blockage.
4.Use saline nose drops and steam inhalations thrice daily for better relief. Any medicated or warm saline gargles thrice daily may help too.
If symptoms still persist or worsen , then please consult your doctor for confirmation of diagnosis and prescription of antibiotics.
Hope that answers your query.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.