Dizziness after lying on stomach, cant sit. Have lower back surgerier and diabetes. Smoking. Why does it happen?

When I lie down on my stomach and turn my head I get so dizzy my head drops. Also happens when I turn on my left side. I sometimes cannot sit up without falling backwards onto the bed. Even if I don't move fast this happens. I have had two lower back surgeries and have diabetes 2. I get a slight headache and mildly nauseated. I get mildly dizzy when I tilt my head down if I am standing. My heart does not beat faster. I smoke 1/2 or less cigs a day
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 1 hour later

Hi there. Thank you for posting your question with XXXXXXX I will do my best to help you.

I think that your problem may be related to carotid artery arteriosclerosis. When you turn your head you further pinch off this important artery and further deprive your brain of blood supply. Your diabetes is causing the arteriosclerosis.

When you get dizzy sitting up etc. This is a separate problem and related to the overzealous treatment of your ? high blood pressure.

I know that this may be behind your question. You are afraid that you might have a stroke. You do not have anything to worry about on this score. Neither of these things necessarily leade to stroke.

I hope you do well.

I hope that I have answered your questions fully and been of some help. If you have anymore questions please contact me again anytime.

Dr Andrew Rynne.

Follow-up: Dizziness after lying on stomach, cant sit. Have lower back surgerier and diabetes. Smoking. Why does it happen? 57 minutes later
thank you. It was the same suspicion I had. I am seeing my doctor for a follow up tomorrow and will mention the dizziness.

why is this not a stroke concern? My mother had this and did have a stroke.
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 9 hours later
Hi there. Thank you for your follow up question.

I am not saying that you should not be slightly concerned about the possibility of stroke in general, given that you have a family history, diabetes and possibly some hypertension as well.

What I'm saying is that specifically to the concerns you raised; that of dizziness when you turn your head and dizziness when you sit up, you do have explanations for these symptoms that are not stroke related.

I hope that clarifies things a bit for you. Thanks and good luck with your doctor's visit tomorrow.

Andrew Rynne.