Diverticulitis surgery, fistula, IV antibiotics, hemorhage, abscesses, continuous abdominal pain, ativan and ambien

Nov.2010 Female 58/135 lbs good health
Diverticulitis surgery, hemorhage, abcesses, fistula, IV antibiotics, down to 116 lbs. XXXXXXX 2011 Ileostomy (bag after ascending colon), continuous pain, Norco 4-6 pills @10 mg per day, up to 123 lbs.
Apr.2011 Redo of Astimosis and clean up of scarring from original surgery and infections, took 6 hours instead of planned 2 hours, decided to keep colostomy bag, Norco 10-12 pills @10 mg/day for one week, taper down to 4 10 mg/day by end of week 2, down to 116 lbs.
1. Continued severe lower abdominal pain, bleeding (2-3 tablespoons per day) from downstream bowel.
2. Very depressed taking ativan and ambien with the Norco.
3. Doctor not concerned but we are. Should these symptoms still exist 3 weeks post surgery?

Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Thanks for query,

Since its a prolonged surgery due to some complication met during the surgery , I would consider for the delay in healing and prolonged symptomatic period is consequence of the same.

The optimal time of an XXXXXXX wound to become symptom less 2 to 3 weeks, but there is quite a bit of stretching in the same.I would ask you to wait for another week and then ask you doctor to concentrate on the condition if the symptoms do not subside and get an colonoscopy (endosocopy ) to rule out the failure of anastomosis.

Need not worry , this kind of presentation is common in surgeries involved with anastomosis.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.