Dissection of ascending aorta,no pulse. Heroic measures needed?

my wife suffered a dissection of the ascending aorta, and had no pulse. I was asked if I wanted heroic measures attempted. I said no. Was I correct.
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Heart Attack
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 13 minutes later

If you are sure that it is dissecting aortic aneurysm and your wife was at home, there are no heroic measures which can guarantee you the survival. Rarely, even if any such measures become successful in saving the life, she might have lead a vegetative life due to permanent brain damage due to hypoxia in the absence of circulation.

Instead of Cardio pulmonary resuscitation (heroic measures), a IV line should be secured by the Emergency Medicine Technician which can slightly raise the chances of survival. Hence there is nothing much a common man can do. You are not wrong.

Dissection of ascending aorta is a condition which is almost always associated death due to excessive bleeding as whole of the blood flows out from the body within minutes. In most of the cases diagnosis is made after autopsy.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow ups.