Discomfort on left side of abdomen, chest pain. ECG normal. X ray shows curvature problem in neck. Treatment ?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
some weeks back I had a discomfort on the left side of the abdomen the doctor did a sonography, urine and blood tests and everything came out to be normal the doc advised that it must be a infection and gave me some medicines and told me take plenty of water.
2 weeks back my chest was paining alongwith discomfort in my left arm. The doctor made me do a ECG a 2D echo test and a xray of cervical spine.
The ECG and 2 D sonography were normal the Xray showed some curvature problem in my neck .
The doc told that due to the problem in my neck my nerves must be getting pressed so I am having discomfort in my arm and chest and advised me some neck excercise.
Now again i am having discomfort in my arm as well as on the left side of the abdomen sometimes.
is the pain in arm ddue to the nerve also why the left side has again started is it muscular or else.
Kinldy suggest what should be done
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 4 hours later

The pain referred to the left upper limb could be due to cervical spondylosis. You should get a MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) of the cervical spine done which will confirm the diagnosis. Once the diagnosis is confirmed you should start a course of neurotropic vitamins and mild pain killers accompanied with physiotherapy in the form of traction and muscle strenghtening exercises.

With the past opinion of your doctor and current complaints it is a neuropathic pain. Due to this the muscles convert to a spasm state and cause more pain.

The abdominal pain is unrelated to the cervical problem. The nature of the pain, recurrence relationship with position and food all matter due confirm the cause of abdominal pain. It could be related to your bowel habits. A safer option would be to repeat an Ultrasound abdomen done to rule out any abdominal problem.

Hope this helps.

Follow-up: Discomfort on left side of abdomen, chest pain. ECG normal. X ray shows curvature problem in neck. Treatment ? 44 minutes later
some time i feel throbbing in my shoulder it seems that my heart is on my shoulder (visible) when i change the position it goes away..I hope its not a problem and its normal.

also I am eating mostly out ..
the discomfort. in the abdomein is not exactly abdomen it starts from just where the rib cage ends and goes up to the hip bone on the side.
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 5 hours later

Hi and thanks again,

As your ECG and 2D echo is normal, it does not appear to be cardiac in origin. It seems to be neuropathic in nature.

MRI of the neck would be the best investigation to confirm the diagnosis.

Regarding the abdominal pain you need to curtail your habit of eating outside frequently. In the mean time you can have antacids like bananas, cucumbers or coating agents like sucralfate. If the same persists then get an endoscopy done.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any other concerns. If all your queries are answered, please accept the answer and close the discussion.