Discomfort in the right side of the rib cage after hitting ribs during go karting

9 days ago I was racing go carts and hit the wall. The seat was forced into my rib cage. No visable bruising & my ribs feel fine. However, I am experiencing discomfort on the right side of my rib cage, both front & back side and the discomfort doesn't seem to be getting better after 9 day. I'm most uncomfortable when sitting or in bed sleeping. And at times experience "tingles" on the front side of my rib cage. The same feeling you have when your leg "falls asleep".
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 32 minutes later

It seems to me that you may have had a fracture/dislocation of the rib/ribs.
Its often later in the recovery period that the pain starts esp due to other complications like trauma,cough etc.Lying down may cause more pain so i would advise a head high position.
But first i would suggest going to the ER so that a chest xray can be done to rule out fracture.Its essential that fracture be managed properly with the right support so as not to damage surrounding structures.
You may need a chest binder for support which you will be given if a fracture is seen.

Painkiller and anti inflammatories will be helpful.Try not to make sudden movements,jerks,cough etc to minimize pain.Breathing exercises will also help reduce the pain.Anytime you have breathlessness,see a doctor immediately.

I suggest you get that xray before all else.