Discomfort in abdomen after using someone else's tooth brush. Chances of Hepatitis C? What are it's symptoms?

I had a relationship with a female that after the fact I found out was very premiscous. This had me upset about stds. Got screened all neg. one morning when together I used her toothbrush by accident thinking it was mine. Now I'm stressed about hep c. I do not know her status. At 6 weeks after our last sexual encounter and 8-9 weeks after toothbrush incident I started having a slight discomfort in my right abdomin. It ranges in location from under the bottom of the rib cage to a couple time higher up on right side towards chest. It even ached towards bottom of abdomin few times between bottom ribs and hip. This discomfort comes and goes through out the day. Im not positive but sometimes it seems it's present more in seated position. A week after it started, 7 weeks post sex and 9-10 after toothbrush, had antibody test for hcv negative. I since had a cat scan done which which was normal. At 9 weeks post,and 11-12 weeks after toothbrush I had another test done which was negative. As for my health history I am in good health. Had my Gaul bladder taken out last year and use cholesterol meds. I also have been vaccinated for hep a and b. my questions are as follows: 1-could this be hep c? 2-most places say 6 months for conclusive tests which includes people with compromised immune systems, what would you consider conclusive? 3-would the pain of hep c come and go or would it be very constant until resolving it self? 4-could bring under extreme stress and getting anxiety over this cause it? 5-what could it be if not hep c? 6-when have you noticed that most people show + when contracting? 7-have you ever seen anyone turn + when neg at my testing timeframe? And what the latest you seen someone seroconvert? Thanks for your prompt reply to all my questions doctor.
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 7 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

Hepatitis C virus (HCV) is usually transmitted by blood and blood products and the other body fluids are not so efficient in transmission. Further the risk of transmission depends on the viral load. Let me answer you queries now.

1. Based on the information provided, By the timeframe mentioned and provided the immunity is fine you are unlikely to have HCV infection.

2. Once one acquires HCV the antibody becomes positive within 3weeks to 3 months. HCV RNA test which able detect HCV infection by 10 days

3. HCV hepatitis usually causes continuous dull aching type of pain and not on and off pain.

4 & 5. Based on what you describe, this may be a problem with the intestines as it varies in place and is recurrent. Get a stool examination and abdominal x XXXXXXX after discussing with your physician to rule out intestinal pathology.

6. As mentioned in my previous reply, we can be able to detect HCV infection as early as after 10 days. Thanks to the HCV rna PCR test.

7. Present day 3rd generation antibody tests are very reliable with few false positives. Seroconversion rates are significantly nil. However HCV antibody detection is unreliable in immunodeficient states.

Hope I have answered all your queries. Do accept the answer if you are satisfied with my answer and do not have further query.

Follow-up: Discomfort in abdomen after using someone else's tooth brush. Chances of Hepatitis C? What are it's symptoms? 2 hours later
Thanks for your reply doctor. The pain I have Is kinda dull and achy. It seems to disappear for like 10 mins and comes back for a little. Disappears for like 20-40 mins and comes back. It also seems to come and stay more often when sitting. I work in a car 6-7 hours a day and thats when it seems to be at its worst. When I wake up some mornings it seems to be gone and then once I get up and move around it will start to come. Also doctor sometimes I won't be feeling it and bend over to pick something up off the floor and feel it.

1-Also when would you say most people show + with antibody test?
2-would the pain be in same spot with hep c or can it move around like I have where sometimes its low ribs sometimes up high towards underarm sometimes high and towards center of middle abdomin?
3-what are your thoughts on the addditonal info I just shared?

Thanks doctor.
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 13 hours later
Hi and thanks for the clarification
1) HCV antibody appearence occurs in most by 7-8weeks after exposure
2) The pain secondary to HCV hepatitis is stationary and felt over the right upper quadrant. Fleeting pains are either because of Vit D defeciency or related to muscle or nerve affliction
3) Postural variation also points towards the same
To clear your apprehensions i think it will be best if you see your GP and get this issue evaluated
Follow-up: Discomfort in abdomen after using someone else's tooth brush. Chances of Hepatitis C? What are it's symptoms? 1 hour later
Ok doctor thanks for the reply. One last question. I read that most would turn + on antibody tests if symptoms were present do you find this to be true? Both tests I had around 9 to 10 and 11 to 12 weeks the pain I felt was already present. The first test I had the discomfort on and off for about a week. Your thoughts?
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 14 hours later

The positivity of test will definitely be more if you are infected and hence have symptoms of hepatitis.

But the performance of the test has nothing to do with the symptoms.