Ask a Urologist   »  

Discoloration and foul smell of the urine. History of incontinence

Orthopaedic Surgeon
urin smelling like eggs,dark in colour,i have a clean pad on and still can smell myself sitting in my chair.had an incontinese problem for a long time had an opp over 15 years ago which did not work,hope this is enough information.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Hi there.

You have provided with good information and I appreciate it. In order to guide you appropriately, I will need a few more details regarding your problem, so please answer the following questions in as much detail as possible.

Do you have any burning sensation on passing urine ?

Any lower abdominal pain, fever, chills, blood in urine, back pain ?

Does the urine dribble or leak on attempting to pass urine or even without intention to pass urine ? Does the urine dribble out when you cough or laugh ?

Did you have a surgery done in the pelvic region ? What was the reason for the surgery ?

The clinical picture as described fits into chronic urinary incontinence which may be continuous or stress induced.

The foul smell of urine could be due to possible associated water to reduce symptoms of urinary tract infection. Avoid drinking much water before sleeping at night to prevent leak of urine while sleeping. Eat fruits and vegetables as well to reduce urinary infection symptoms.

It is possible that the surgery done to pelvic region may have weakened muscles or could also be age related, which is causing the incontinence of urine. COPD will also contribute to incontinence due to possible rise in abdominal pressure while coughing.

It is advisable to consult with a Urologist or Gynecologist to get your problem evaluated and repaired as soon as possible to prevent further complications.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Discoloration and foul smell of the urine. History of incontinence 1 hour later
1/ no burning
2/no, pain,fever,chill,bloog in urin or back pain
3/urin dus not leak when weeing,dus leak with out intention to pass urin,also gushing when coughing.
4/ had colpol suspension,had bad infection after opp,treated with anty-biotics and liquid perocide injected in to wound
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 6 hours later
Hi there,

Thanks for the reply.

It appears there may be possible percolation of urine in and around skin which is causing the foul smell. There also could be chance of infection without noticeable symptoms.

You are possibly having urge and stress incontinence. You can try Pelvic exercises to strengthen the pelvic muscles. While passing urine, try to with-hold urine flow for few seconds then let urine stream flow, repeat the cycle for 2-3 times a day.

Do follow above mentioned precautions to avoid infection and encourage healthier urinary tract.

Consult your Gynecologist or Urologist and get a thorough evaluation after which the right diagnosis and management shall be decided.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more concerns. And if all your queries are addressed, please close this discussion.

Wish you speedy recovery.