Disabled by COPD. Given prednisone and antibiotics. What has the body stopped producing? Suggest a safe steroid?

I am disabled by COPD. Several occasions the er's and my local MD have given me anti-biotics and prednisone. Predinsone is a fountain of youth. I can move, walk, even dance a little. I can get up at will. I use all four limbs to get off the toilet normally but on prednisone I just get up. When I sang the praises of the steriod to my local MD and he thought I was drug seeking. Since my aching joints stop aching when I am given this medication and since I can breathe when I am forced to take prednisone and since my sense of smell comes back breifly after a fifteen year absence when under this forced influence, in short nornallity from just a few years back returns my question is this:
What has my body stopped producing that has caused this loss of humanity and is there a safe steroid, anabolic or otherwise, that can restore me like I know prednisone does?
Posted Wed, 13 Nov 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Anti inflammatory properties.

Detailed Answer:

At the outset steroids are normally produced in the body. It is mainly cortisone and it is short acting.

COPD is mainly attributed to enzyme deficiency. This causes poor clearance of bronchial secretion, repeated infection, inflammation and Broncho constriction. Steroids are aimed at controlling the inflammation and there by reducing the symptoms of COPD. Further the antiinflammatory properties bring in relief from pain and joint aches.

The added drugs just boosts the normal actions and does not mean you are deficient. That being said, all steroids and antibiotics have their pros and cons. Long term use of steroids pose a risk of cushing's syndrome, Diabetes, weight gain, Cardiovascular disease, osteoporosis etc..

Of later there are some steroid preparations available in the market which has less systemic side effects like Deflazacort.

Hope the answer helps you.

Follow-up: Disabled by COPD. Given prednisone and antibiotics. What has the body stopped producing? Suggest a safe steroid? 28 hours later
Thank you. I suppose I'm just wishing for a path back from aging.
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Best of luck.

Detailed Answer:
Best of luck.