Difficulty in walking, shoe bite. Immediate treatment?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello Doctor, I am 31 Yrs Old, 5'6'' height and 64 Kg weight
Please suggest me immediate relief from shoe bite, I am not able to walk properly

Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 34 minutes later

Using a new shoe is usually accompanied by initial discomfort, pain and excoriation of the skin of the lower part of your feet.

Firstly, you may avoid using the shoes for a while till the lesion heals. If you are unable to get to a Doctor right away, you may follow these few tips.

Keep the wounded area dry; if it is bleeding, do use sterile cloth and soak it with bit of pressure to stop bleeding. Only XXXXXXX dry and avoid wiping movement on the wound to prevent further discomfort. You may use an antibiotic cream for local application on the wound after it has stopped bleeding. Apply thin layer over the wound.

Try to keep the feet elevated over a few soft pillows for comfort and avoid contact of the wound with the rough clothing. Avoid flexing the feet or toes as much as possible as that may increase discomfort. You may apply cool compress over the dressed wound if desired for comfort.

If you do not have antibiotic cream you may use a band aid, but only after visible active bleeding has stopped. Bed rest for a few hours till the pain reduces. Use sandals for walking as much as possible till the lesion heals.

One may inspect the shoe for any hard unyielding surgace/edge and manipulate it to make it softer and more comfortable. The lesion if not XXXXXXX would usually heal in 3-4 days. but I encourage you to consult a Doctor and get the wound examined thoroughly and decide if further intervention is needed.

If the shoes are rough you may need to get a new pair to avoid future recurrences.

Eat healthy. Get enough sleep. Stay stress free.

I hope I have answered your query, I will be available for your follow up queries.

Follow-up: Difficulty in walking, shoe bite. Immediate treatment? 1 hour later
Hello Doctor,
Thanks a lot for your quick response.
Could you please suggest me a good anti-biotic cream and any other medicine which can help me in getting recovered soon. I tried few anti-biotic creams but it didnt work. Also, I can't wear slippers at work so feel uncomfortable while walking with the shoes.I got a new pair of shoes but still facing problem.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 5 hours later

You can apply neospirin or betnovate cream for your wounds.

But you need to apply 2-3 times a day for atleast 4-5 days for relief.

You may cut out a small piece of sponge or thermocole or bubble wrap and apply that between your foot and the sharp edge of shoe or just under your socks.

Wish you good health.