Difficulty in erection, colonosopy done. Is the erectile dysfuntion due to the test?

Hello, I'm 48, 6'2" and healthy. For the last few years I've had difficulty attaining an erection. I noticed the onset of this coincided with when I had a colonoscopy (routine). Is it possible the two are related?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Colonoscopy is not likely to produce any effect on sexual drive or erection. It is more likely to happen due to low testosterone levels in the body and hypotension.
Erectile functions are affected by multiple factors - both organic and psychological. Urologist is an ideal person who can investigate for organic causes. You may need battery of test - blood test, ultrasound scans, doppler study, neurological assessment, etc to identify the cause.

If no organic causes is found perhaps lifestyle modifications will be necessary. Anxiety is found as the cause most often. De-stressing measures like exercise, particularly aerobic exercise is an effective treatment for erectile dysfunction.

Apart from this, good couple intimacy, quiting smoking (if any) is the necessary to reduce the problem.

A few medical drugs such as phosphodiesterase inhibitors / alprostadil have been used for the treatment. You may get them prescribed by a doctor if none of the above measures are successful in treating the problem. Both oral medications as well as injections are available to help in maintaining the erection. Your physician will help you in choosing the best agent for you after examining you to rule out the contraindicating factors.

When pharmacological methods fail, a purpose-designed external vacuum pump can be used to attain erection, with a separate compression ring fitted to the penis to maintain it.

To increase your sex drive you can add celery, raw oysters, banana,avocado, almonds, eggs, figs, garlic,etc to your food.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.