Difficulty in bowel movement and took tampons. Having pain full swelling between the anal and vaginal opening. Prescribed with rash cream. Advise?

Excellent

General Surgeon
Question
Occasionally, after a difficult bowel movement or sometimes when I use tampons, I have been having some painful swelling between the anal and vaginal opening. I asked my gyn about it (at a time when I wasn't having a flare up) and he just prescribed me some rash cream. Does it sound like a rash?
Posted Sat, 31 Aug 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Perineal abscess. Possible rectal fistula.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Pain and swelling in the perineum area (the place between vagina and anus) can be caused by inflammation in this area. The inflammation leads to pus accumulation what usually gives pain and swelling. As it is associated with stools passing, there might be a small canal (fistula) between the rectum and the skin. Through this canal bacteria from the stool may infect soft tissues.

So answering your question, it does not sound like a rash. I suggest you to visit general surgeon or proctologist, have rectal exam and MRI of this area if fistula is possible.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Difficulty in bowel movement and took tampons. Having pain full swelling between the anal and vaginal opening. Prescribed with rash cream. Advise? 8 minutes later
Thank you! That does help 😄

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome.

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome. Get well soon.