Did not have periods. Have osteoporosis and all kinds of problems. Suffered with bulimia and anorexia

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am 34 y/o Female.Haven't had my period for 10 years, which caused osteoporosis all kind of back problems and other health problems. Had seen all kinds of specialists and all kinds of tests but nobody can find a problem. A week ago i was put on bc XXXXXXX to have induced periods but after taking for 5 days had to stop cause of severe nausea and mood swings.I was on XXXXXXX 14 years ago after having my son had no problems. I am a model so i suffered with bulimia and anorexia over the years that comes and goes. Yes i am underweight but even when i gained weight in the past my periods don't come back. Please help.
Posted Thu, 7 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can take HRT.

Detailed Answer:
The osteoporosis and the back pain that you are having is due to the early menopause. Since the birth control pills are causing excessive nausea and other side effects, you can start with diet that provides the proper amount of calcium and vitamin D.
You should have 1,000 mg of calcium and 400 - 800 IU of vitamin D daily.
You need to start with weight-bearing exercises -- walking, jogging, playing tennis, dancing, etc regularly.
Quit smoking, if you smoke.
Limit your alcohol intake. Too much alcohol can damage your bones.
You can also start with medicines like raloxifene after consulting your orthopedician.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Did not have periods. Have osteoporosis and all kinds of problems. Suffered with bulimia and anorexia 12 hours later
Thank you doctor for your reply i really appreciate it. So you think that my early menopause started at the age of 22? Because that was when i stopped having my menstrual cycles. I do not experience any of the menopause symptoms like hot flashes, disturbed sleep or vaginal dryness just to name a few. I not drink or smoke anymore i quit those few years ago. Do you think it's possible that if i reached healthy weight that my cycles would come back? That is what i keep hearing from the doctors. I am 5'10" and i weigh 110 lbs. In the past 10 years i never weighed more that 120 lbs.
Also my back surgeries were endoscopic spine discectomy and neucleoplasty which didn't help at all. My back is getting worse and worse. Every year i have few episodes of where it gets so bad that i can't walk and have to be admitted to the hospital for couple weeks. Last year after two weeks in the hospital when i got home my legs felt like they were paralysed and it took about a month to get feeling back in my legs. I have to use my hands to lift my feet up on my bed. I also have degenarative disc disease. I have seen many specialists that want to open me up and do more surgeries(which i would only do again if i get paralysed), while the dr at Mayo clinic told me to just accept it(just like people who loose their limb no matter how mad or sad they are) i will not get better, but i can slow down the process by exercising keeping strong core(which i do), healthy diet and suplements(i also do that and many more things) but nothing seems to slow it down. Doctor i can't give up cause i have to raise my 15 y/o son on my own but i just don't know what else to do. I am sorry for such a long question.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Menopause at the age of 22 is not likely.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing again.
I can understand your concern.
You can get your serum FSH levels tested to find out if you are menopausal or not. It is best to lose some weight. This will help in reducing your back pain also. Just be strong and continue with the daily exercise and a healthy diet. These will help you in the long run.
Hope my answer is helpful.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Did not have periods. Have osteoporosis and all kinds of problems. Suffered with bulimia and anorexia 13 hours later
I am sorry to nag you again. But to loose weight? When i'm already underweight. I am 178 cm tall and weigh 48.5 kg.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Sorry. I misunderstood.

Detailed Answer:
Sorry. I read it 210 pounds. Being underweight does not cause any excessive stress on your spine. But you must get your Vitamin D 3 levels evaluated and continue regular exercise with a protein and calcium XXXXXXX diet.