Did fasting CBC test, MCH and WBC were low with high IGM. Meaning?

Pediatrician
Question
I did a fasting CBC test...I'm a 19year old female....test results came as....MCH low 25.2 WBC low 3.8 and IGm was high 273..what does that mean???? Is this dangerous? What should I do to make levels normal?
Posted Wed, 18 Sep 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Figures not XXXXXXX Detailed report required

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

Though your reports are not XXXXXXX but I would have liked to see the complete report. The increased IgM suggests a recent infection for which you are producing antibodies. The low WBC count can be due to a viral infection which can explain your diarrhoea. However the WBC count should be examined in conjunction with the differential count (DLC). Mean corpuscular haemoglobin does not have any significance in isolation and should be read along with the haemoglobin and other RBC parameters. Hence be rest assured that there is nothing to worry.

As you are sufferring from diarrhoea, it can be viral in origin which can explain most of the blood reports. I suggest that you get a stool routine examination done and consult your doctor.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or if you would like to share more facts.

Wishing you an early recovery.

Rajiv K Khandelwal
http://goo.gl/SuCjl

Follow-up: Did fasting CBC test, MCH and WBC were low with high IGM. Meaning? 35 minutes later
Thxx so its nothing to do with cancer like i read online right?? There are so many XXXXXXX things online regarding this matter....but im glad u cleared it for me.....i will request my complete lab work from my dr and try to send it to u..if they send it in time...thxx again

Brief Answer:
Thanks

Detailed Answer:

I am happy that I have been able to allay your fears.

The figures provided by you cannot ever suggest cancer.

A suggestion (which you may not accept) is that please do not go diagnosing yourself by reading online. I agree that knowledge is always helpful but things should be seen in the right perspective and not in isolation.

Wishing you all the best.

Rajiv

Follow-up: Did fasting CBC test, MCH and WBC were low with high IGM. Meaning? 26 hours later
Everyone tells me this..and i will surely stop since it always leaves me worried and panicking.....how do u think my dr will treat this? I have an appointment next week and i cant stop thinking about it.....will i be prescribed something? My diahrrea has stopped (it comes and goes) and i have a sinus pressure with an headache now...i feel very tired and sleepy...and i look very weak...i have dark circles under my eyes...im very confused if this is due to my blood work...and should i avoid eating somethings or start taking some kind of vitamins...im so sorry for all of these questions...but i think and worry alot...since i was a kid..especially in situations like these...thank you for all of your help :)

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Clinical examination required

Detailed Answer:

I can understand your concerns. However without a clinical examination it is not possible for me to answer all your queries. I shall try to do my best.

1. It is not clear what you mean by "how do u think my dr will treat this?"
2. As your diarrhoea has stopped I doubt whether you shall be prescribed anything.
3. Following diarrhoea one does get weakness which shall take some time to return to normal. As no clinical examination has been done it is very difficult to recommend anything for the weakness and "dark circles".
4. The complete blood report has not been shared and hence it is difficult to comment on it. As I stated earlier that your reports appeared to be normal.
5. Regarding diet, you should be having a normal diet once your diarrhoea is controlled. Yes, vitamins and probiotics will facilitate your recovery. The doctor must have prescribed you some probiotics while treating your diarrhoea.

I hope I have answered most, if not all, of your queries. I suggest that you should not worry and leave the management to the treating doctor.

Wishing you all the best.

Rajiv

Follow-up: Did fasting CBC test, MCH and WBC were low with high IGM. Meaning? 4 minutes later
I was talking about my low wbc mch and high igm...wud u know how it will be treated? Will i be prescribed something? And i will get my full lab report as soon as i can..thxx again...i know i ask too many questions...sorry

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Supportive treatment will be prescibed

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query. You are right is clarifying your doubts.

As I mentioned in my initial post that the low WBC count is probably due to a viral infection and the increased IgM suggests an infection of recent origin. The doctor who ordered these investigations must have prescribed you some medicines which has helped in your diarrhoea. I do not think that you shall be prescribed any further medication.

I hope I have clarified your doubts.

Wishing you all the best.

Rajiv