Did MRI scan. What does the result says? What treatment to undergo?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
The impression on my MRI which was done bc of neck shoulder and forearm pain was like this .
1.left paracentral disc protrusion at c5-c6 level causing narrowing of left lateral recess.
2.left paracentral disc protrusion at c6-c7 level causing narrowing of left lateral recess and neural foramen.

Could I know what this means in plain terms and what is treatment process
Posted Sun, 27 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Treatment includes in following lines

Detailed Answer:
Hi and Thanks for your query.

There are features of Disc bulge with narrowing of neural foramina from C5-C7 levels.

Usually, the spinal cord and nerve roots are protected within the spinal canal. The spinal canal is guarded by the vertebrae which separated from one another by a cushion like intervertebral discs.The herniated discs compresses spinal nerves or spinal cord. Symptoms are experienced along the area of distribution/path of that particular nerve. This has happened at level of C5-C7 in your case.

Treatment includes
1. Use of cervical collar helps in immobilisation and brings relief.
2. Medical drugs like pain killers - acetaminophen/ibuprofen and muscle relaxants might be helpful.
3. Methylcobalamin supplements are also recommended for nerve compression symptoms.
4. Cervical isometric exercises are beneficial to maintain the strength of the neck muscles. Neck and upper back stretching exercises, as well as light aerobic activities, also are recommended under the guidance of a physical therapist.
5. Hot fomentation helps in relieving acute symptoms.
6. You can avoid using a pillow while sleeping.
Avoid prolonged sitting / leaning forward/ 2 wheeler driving for long distances.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and informative and I will be glad to answer any further query.
Follow-up: Did MRI scan. What does the result says? What treatment to undergo? 5 hours later
Thank you for your reply doctor,It's not just the pain that worries me ,there is a sensation that you get when you experience a light electric shock that kind of sensation happens all the time and it's irritating feeling that all the time ,are there any medicines available to stop that feeling.
That shock kind of feeling is in my left palm and fingers
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Due to compression of nerve

Detailed Answer:

These electric shock like sensation is due to compression of nerve. Taking gabapentin and methylcobalamin preparations are helpful in such kind of sensation.

I hope this answers your query.

Warm regards.
Follow-up: Did MRI scan. What does the result says? What treatment to undergo? 3 hours later
gabapentin is there a dosage for it doctor
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Dose of gabapentin is 300 mg daily

Detailed Answer:
Dose of gabapentin is 300 mg daily. It depends upon severity of symptoms, so take it under prescription.