Diastolic BP is low and systolic BP is high. Should I be concerned?

Cardiologist, Interventional
My avg blood pressure is usually about 150/78. I have noticed the last few days my diastolic is in the 60s. Once is was 54. My systolic remained around 148. Is this cause for concern?
Posted Fri, 1 Nov 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
No, None really

Detailed Answer:
It is fine to have lower Diastolic blood pressure. As long as there is no valve leak (aortic regurgitation) and anemia, it doesnt matter. Concern is more of your higher systolic BP. Which should generally be below 135. Looking at your overall profile if you are not on medicines there is no immediate need but sometime in near future you may need it. Few things that would definately be help would be loosing wieght, daily physical activity about 45-60min walking, restricting dietary sodium and increasing fruits in diet. Also life style modifications that would reduce anxity will also be helpful.
Please get back to me if any other queries
Follow-up: Diastolic BP is low and systolic BP is high. Should I be concerned? 13 hours later
I am concerned that my diastolic dropping from its normal solid 80s to the low 60s over the past few days could mean my Left Ventricular Hypertrophy has gotten worse. I have had some very minor valve regurgitation in the past.

What could be causing this?
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need to be concerned

Detailed Answer:

As age progress diastolic pressure is known to reduce. It doesn't imply anything. Neither good or bad. Mild leaks are found in most adult on echo. They again don't mean anything
Follow-up: Diastolic BP is low and systolic BP is high. Should I be concerned? 27 hours later
At what point do I need to worry about my pvcs? They sometimes are painful. They sometimes feel run together. I have also had a couple short runs of svt. I have had monitor and the doctor has seen the pvcs. I guess that I have 500 to 4000 per day. some days are worse than others. They are mostly recovery pvcs after work or eating. Stress brings them on too. They bother me very much. I feel every other beat sometimes,sometimes every 2nd or third,sometimes none. It is cause for much anxiety to me.
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 31 hours later
Brief Answer:
If they are troubling you than you need treatment

Detailed Answer:

If they are causing symptoms more than anxiety than they need to treated. You could benefits from low dose beta blockers.

Please discuss with your physician