Diarrhea, blood in stools, back pain, no fever. Blood and diarrhea related?

For the past month I have had light colored diarrhea, on and off. Then things started getting back to normal about 10 days ago. Well last Sunday I started having lower back pain on my left side, my stool is back to normal but it is lighter then normal and today I noticed some blood when I wiped. I have been to the doctor for my back pain and did mention the diarrhea but he said if you have no fever and felt fine, and no blood then it should be ok. So now I noticed the blood and I have another appointment Thursday and will definitly mention the blood, Can these two issues be related?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Mild amount of blood with stools after an episode of diarrhea can be due intestinal amoebic infection. It is not likely to be related to the back pain that you are having. Taking anti amoebics will help in clearing up the infection. If the blood in stools is persistent then we must consider investigations to rule out other causes like-
1. Anal fissures- An anal fissure is a crack or tear in the skin of the anal canal. Anal fissures may cause severe periodic pain after defecation but with chronic fissures pain intensity is often less. Hemorrhoids are likely associated.
2. Diverticulosis- Diverticulosis is formation of pouches in the lining of the large intestinal epithelium, due to the weakened areas.
3. Irritable bowel syndrome- IBS can be helped by eating a proper diet and taking medication.
4.Crohn's Disease or UC- These are autoimmune gut disorders. This causes sores in your intestines, stomach, and/or throat which causes blood and mucus in the stool.
Other causes include- Lactose intolerance or gluten sensitivity, intestinal polyps, etc.
You need to consult your gastroenterologist for further investigations like colonoscopy and proper treatment.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.