Diarrhea, anal fissure, bloating, pelvic pain. Normal stool test and CT scan. Colonoscopy shows diverticulitis. Thoughts?

6 months of chronic explosive diarrhea, anal fissures, bloating and pain in the pelvic region which is made worse upon bathroom visit. Family doctor tested stool samples--nothing. Been to urologist--cat scan x 2--he said all is well. To gastroenterologist--colonoscopy came back only a few small pockets of diverticulitis. Thoughts please?
Posted Sun, 25 Aug 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about these symptoms and the difficulties diagnosing the exact problem and providing solutions that would be helpful. Let's try to approach this problem systematically and see if we get anything new that would be very helpful towards resolving this problem.

From the symptoms you have provided, if all the above tests had not be done, I would have immediately made the call of inflammatory bowel disease, especially Chron's. However, most of the test above should have raised this suspicion at least by the gastroenterologist.

PLease, can i get answers to these questions?
How often do you go to the toilet? How would you rate the quantity of stool? What is the colour? Do you have the impression of seeing undigested food particles? HAve you lost weight? how many kilograms if yes.
are the stools watery or at least formed?
Do you get symptoms daily?
is there any blood in your stools?
Do you have the impression that fats are floating in your stool?
Have you lost weight?
Do you have any condition like HIV, cancer/etc?
Have you taken antibiotics in the last 6months, and if yes, which?
Have you ever had similar symptoms before?
Are they related to any meal type?
How long after meals do you visit the toilet?
Have you had any recent travels to the tropics?
Do you have any liver or pancreas problems?
Have you had any abdominal surgery?
Is the diarrhoea getting worse or better or about the same?
Have you tried any medications? If yes, which and did they help you?
Has anyone ever had a similar condition in your family?
Did the gastroenterologist do any biopsies? Any results if yes.
Do you have diarrhoea even when you don't eat?
Do you do drugs?

Please, i understand it is another huge typing to do. I just want to have more information on which i can make some sensible recommendations. Let me know hear from you.
I wish you well.
Dr. Ditah, MD.