Diagnosed with ureaplasma parvum. Will it be spread orally?

Hi, I was diagnosed with ureaplasma parvum and I'm wondering if I can spread this to my partner orally? Me to him.
Posted Mon, 20 Aug 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 5 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Yes, you can spread this infection to your partner through oral to genital contact and genital-genital contact ( which would definitely include unprotected sexual intercourse)
You would need to be treated with an oral antibiotic like tetracycline for 7 days. Till then, abstinence is the only way we can prevent the transmission of the infection. Even condoms are ineffective in preventing transmission of this.
Let me know if you have any more questions.
Follow-up: Diagnosed with ureaplasma parvum. Will it be spread orally? 9 minutes later
Thank you. I have been prescribed for this.

Is it a guarantee that I would have transmitted it to my partner it oral to genital prior to the diagnosis?
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 17 minutes later
Thanks for writing back.
There is actually no guarantee that you would have transmitted this infection to him, but the tricky part is that this infection does remain asymptomatic for a long time. So in all probability, you would have transmitted the infection. At this stage, ideally, your partner should be treated as well with the same antibiotic as well.
I hope that answers your question.