Diagnosed with transient global amnesia. What are the risks and treatment available?

Nov 2013

I was in church on Sunday. My husband said I fell asleep--deeply. He had to nudge me twice to go to communion. I only remember telling him we had to be to church at 8:30 because we were greeters. I do not remember anything until 11:30. I do not remember greeting, sharing the peace, going up for communion, having coffee after church or talking with people. Everyone whom I have spoken with, said that I acted perfectly normal--no questioning or no repeating. I do not remember anything for those 3 hours. I have been diagnosed with TGA but I am not sure that was what it was because I did not appear confused or ask where I was.
Posted Thu, 31 Jan 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

I agree with your doctor that the most likely diagnosis in your case is TGA- transient global amnesia- (I had already thought of it before I read the last sentence!).

TGA is a type of TIA (transient ischemic attack), where the blood supply to brain is reduced for a short period (less than 24 hours). Most people recover in a few hours.

Common risk factors are diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol, etc.

Treatment requires using aspirin and controlling risk factors.

It has a very good prognosis with treatment.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist