Diagnosed with tendinitis and noticed swelling around knee cap. Should I be worried?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
My daughter (10 years) digonosed to have tendinitis 6 weeks ago. She did not have any pain any more two weeks ago, but the swelling on and around the kneecap never went away. Shall I worried?
Posted Tue, 4 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

As your daughter had already followed the principle of RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) and had taken anti-inflammatory drug to reduce the inflammation associated with tendenitis, so not to worry about the residual swelling your daughter has at present.

It will disappear gradually with good physical therapy and knee strengthening exercises.

So I advice her to continue knee exercises as advised by her doctor.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with tendinitis and noticed swelling around knee cap. Should I be worried? 11 hours later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX Gupta:
Thank you so much for your reply.
The sport means a lots to my daughter, as I described before, once the pain disappeared, she went back to routine excises gradually (with very limited running and Jumping). And some doctors told me she went back too soon, that's why the residual swelling always present. But even without training, it is the same - that is in the morning, no obvious swelling around tendon area beneath and on the keen cap, in the evening, I can see the swelling become bigger, tender (though no redness, no pain). She is a kid, if she feels pain, she would complain and automatically stop doing the activities that causing it, otherwise, she cannot restrict herself to avoid running and jumping. Her coach said the process is normal (to have bigger swelling after training), that I just need ICing it to make the swelling under control. Shall I listen to her? Is Icing better than heating pad? Or I should do nothing, just be patient with it, and hopefully this up and down swelling syndrome will eventually go away? How long do you think usually it takes to clear up all the symptoms? Is it safe to let her use her own body sensor to judge what she can do and what she should not do? Thanks,
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 12 hours later

Thanks again... I understand your concern but do not worry. Based on your description, I feel things are in control.

Therefore I advice you to just stay relaxed and do nothing extra. She can use heating pad before training and icing after that to reduce the inflammation. A good physical therapy and exercise as suggested by a competent physiotherapist will also be helpful.

Do not worry these symptoms will go away with good physical therapy and exercise probably in few weeks to a month time period.

If there is no pain, she should be fine.

Hope I was able to address your concern. Let me know if you need any more help.

If you have no further query you can close the discussion, rate and give your reviews.

Wish her speedy recovery....