Diagnosed with superficially invasive squamous cell carcinoma. What should be done next?

OBGYN, Gynecologic Oncology
Question
Hii.. My mother has been diagnosed superficially invasive squamous cell carcinoma (Speciman-Cervical Tissue)-Moderately differentiated. Hoping for some suggestions on my next course of action.
Posted Wed, 8 May 2013 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer

Answered by Dr. Manjunath L Ramarajapalli 48 minutes later

By the information you have given, your mother is suffering from cervical cancer.This looks like early stage (stage 1)disease.

She can be treated by surgery Radical type 3 Hysterectomy (Wertheim's hysterectomy) with pelvic lymph node dissection.

The success rate of cure is more than 90%.

Please go ahead with the treatment as soon as possible.

Good luck.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with superficially invasive squamous cell carcinoma. What should be done next? 34 hours later
Can you please let me know the estimated cost for this treatment? Are there any after effects for this treatment? Does she need to go for regular check up after this? Does this have any chances to relapse later?

Answered by Dr. Manjunath L Ramarajapalli 32 minutes later

The cost depends on the hospital, government hospitals charge thousands where as in the corporate hospitals it may cost 1 to 3 lacks of rupees.

There are routine side effects as for any major surgery.

She should go for regular check up after this.

Yes, it can relapse and it varies from 90% to 10% for stage 4 to stage 1 disease.