Diagnosed with pericarditis. What is the underlying cause?

i 'm 32 years old, i was diagnosed with pericarditis , i would like to know the cause? I was healthy before.

Posted Tue, 7 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Maruti Karale 34 minutes later

There are many causes of pericarditis hence I would like to know more information about your illness.

What are your symptoms and since how many days you are suffering?
Is there any past history of major illness like tuberculosis,hypothyroidism or any autoimmune disease?
Do you have fever at present?
Is there any history of recent chest trauma?
What are your 2DECHO findings?Is there any collection of fluid?

Pericarditis can be caused by infections like tuberculosis,viral,bacterial and fungal infections , HIV, heart attack, autoimmune disorders like SLE, Scleroderma, Rheumatoid arthritis and chest trauma, cancer, hypothyroidism, kidney failure, or drugs.

Some times no definite cause for pericarditis can be identified. This is called idiopathic pericarditis.

You can write back to me with above information.

Hope this helps you.
Thank you.