Diagnosed with pcod. Planning to conceive. Is it safe to take fertyl super tablets and deviry 10mg?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Hello Dr., I am 32 years old female. I am diagnosed with pcod and serum testosterone 101.91 ng/ml. My lmp is 27th July and now I am planning for pregnancy. On 30th July I took fertyl super tablets for 7 days. My doctor prescribed to take deviry 10mg two tablets from 12th August for 14 days. Is this tablet is having any side effect on expected baby while I am continuing this tablet. Regards, XXXXXX
Posted Thu, 30 Aug 2012 in Getting Pregnant

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 45 minutes later
hi XXXXXXX

usually doctors will prescribe progesterones in the second half of menstrual cycle when there is expected pregnancy with the opinion that, progesterone will help in implantation and maintaining of pregnancy,
according to FDA category deviry which contains medroxyprogesterone is category X drug means there is possibility of fetal defects according to animal studies whereas that is not proved in many human studies,
anyhow as your doctor prescribed only for 2 weeks you can continue and in case of positivity of pregnancy you follow with regular antenatal checkups and ultrasound examinations.
you may have mild side effects like nausea, vomitings, bloating sensation of abdomen, breast tenderness etc, but usually they will subside without need of medication.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with pcod. Planning to conceive. Is it safe to take fertyl super tablets and deviry 10mg? 3 hours later
hello dr.I am little bit scared.From past 2 days I am taking the medicine deviry.If i am stop the medicine now what will happen?Also want to know why dr prescribed this deviry.Is this due to my high serum testosteron.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 4 hours later
hi,

according to some studies chance of miscarriage is more in patients with PCOD, and hyperandrogenism(high serum testosterone) is one of the feature of PCOD, that is also said to be one of the contributing factor in infertility and miscarriage due to PCOD,
so as a preventive measure your doctor might have kept you on progesterone tablets, as I told the risk with tablets is not proved so you can complete the course, after that depending on your pregnancy positivity the treatment can be given.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.