Diagnosed with non-displaced fracture of the medial femoral condyle. Wearing the ace neoprene brace. Correct?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I was diagnosed with a non-displaced fracture of the medial femoral condyle 4 weeks after I slipped on the ice and landed directly on my left knee cap. I also have a XXXXXXX bone bruise. I thought it would get better on its own, which it didn't- and resulted in my visit to the orthopaedic doctor. The xray did not show anything, however was diagnosed after MRI. She told me to continue wearing the ace neoprene brace I started wearing right when I did it, use either a crutch or cane to help with weight bearing and I should feel better in March. I don't have a follow-up appt and my knee is still hurting,very badly. I am an otherwise healthy mom who needs both her knees to chase after her kids. Is the "treatment" plan my doctor gave me acceptable or should I find a new doctor?
Posted Tue, 5 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 34 minutes later

Bone bruises are painful injuries to the bone in which the bone hits a hard surface and results in tiny fractures in the outer layer of the bone, called the cortex. Not identifiable by an X-ray as it is not a true break.
Now body is responsible for repairing the tiny fractures, which can take a long time.It can take days, weeks, and often months for your body to fully repair a bone bruise and rebuild all that was damaged.
The best way to heal a bone bruise is to allow the body to do its job the best it can. This means avoiding strenuous activities that can "re-bruise" the bone. Even slightly hitting that same bone again can undo all the repair that the body has started and make the healing process start all over again. It takes time for the new bone and calcium to become super strong.
There is no real "cure" for a bone bruise. You can't cast it, and you can't make time go any faster than it already is. You can, however, keep the bone bruise protected by babying it for a few weeks and keeping the area as undisturbed as possible so your body can heal and remain healing.

So I advice you to continue follow the treatment plan given by your orthopaedician. You will become alright in few weeks.You can take anti-inflammatory drug like motrin as and when required to reduce pain .
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.

Wishing you good health...

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with non-displaced fracture of the medial femoral condyle. Wearing the ace neoprene brace. Correct? 1 hour later
I was referring to the fracture I was diagnosed with. Is the treatment plan that I was given sufficient for the non displaced fracture of the medial femoral condyl that I have from the fall on my knee?

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query again.

The fracture is in healing stage so treatment plan given by your orthopaedician for this fracture is sufficient.

I hope that clears your doubts. Please feel free to revert back for any clarifications.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Wishing you speedy recovery...

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.