Diagnosed with nephrotic syndrom and prescribed wysolone, furoped. Having stomach ache. Related?

My daughter has been diagnosed nephrotic syndrom and follwoing medicines prescribed
1. tab Junior Lonzol150mg
2. wysolone(10mg) 3tabs a day
4. furoped 3.5 ml a day

medication started on last saterday(1 XXXXXXX 2013) and now she is complaining about stomachach around lower abdomen.
can you please suggest me is she is getting right medicine
her creatinine 92
PRoteine in Urine is (++++)
Posted Mon, 24 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 42 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

I am sorry to hear about your daughter, and I am here to help you as far as possible. Do not worry.

The medication advised contains one steroid (wysolone 10 mg 3 times a day), a diuretic (furoped 3.5 ml--this is the correct dose given for a child) which will help in removing all the excess fluid that is retained in the body of patients diagnosed to have nephrotic syndrome, and one proton pump inhibitor (junior lanzol; which is lansoprazole) that will prevent the irritation of your daughters stomach which will be caused by the use of steroids, this will prevent ulcers, etc. The treatment and dosages are right.

Her creatinine and urine protein is quite high, such a picture is associated with nephrotic syndrome. Now that treatment has been initiated, we can soon get her laboratory values to improve.

For future reference, her blood pressure and cholesterol levels will have to be regularly checked. She is too young now to show any abnormalities.

I would also like to inform you that episodes of abdominal pain are commonly associated with patients diagnosed to have nephrotic syndrome; it is in fact more common in children than adults.

I hope this information helps. Please write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always available to help you.

Best wishes.
Follow-up: Diagnosed with nephrotic syndrom and prescribed wysolone, furoped. Having stomach ache. Related? 3 hours later
Thanks for your response and suggestions.
After starting the medicine she is sleep most of the time and she also developed cough and cold, and watery discharge from nose.
It seems she is also having fever sometimes.
Actually the doctor who is treating her is out of station and not reachable next two days. So do you think I should go for another consultant for her current complaints stomach and fever/cough and cold etc. Please also advice about the diet as since last week she is not taking proper diet. Doctor suggested high protein diet but as she is not taking much food/fruit etc not even milk or protein powder. today she took few graps and leechi. As salt is restricted so there is no much option for normal food. we tried to feed her Rice and pulses but she is not taking normal amount of food.
Please suggest.

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 6 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX and welcome once again.

I shall surely help you with the information you need. Do not worry, now that your daughter has been diagnosed, I am sure she will soon recover.

The symptoms of cold, cough, nasal discharge and fever are suggestive of a allergic rhinitis. If her treating doctor would return in 1-2 days, you could wait and get treated by him/her; as this is not a very serious condition. But, do try to keep her well hydrated in the meantime, small regular sips of lukewarm water should help. But if you feel she is really uncomfortable, then you could take her to another doctor, but do not forget to take along all reports and documents pertaining to her current condition and history to show the new doctor.

Diet: As advised by your child's doctor, the diet has to be XXXXXXX in protein as she has lost a lot of proteins and is currently losing quite a bit, these proteins will have to be replaced. Foods like-
--Cow's milk
--Skimmed milk
--Chicken (especially the breast piece)
--Dairy products (eg. cheese, yogurt, etc.)
--Lentils (all kinds of dal's)
--Ice creams
--Fruits (fresh; not canned)
--Vegetables (fresh)
--Macaroni, spaghetti, noodles, rice, cereals

Also keep her hydrated, but to a limit, as she will always be thirsty. Giving her excess of fluids will lead to a retention, which is not good. Thus:
-Monitor amount of fluid intake
-Avoid salty food, they increase thirst
-Give lemonade or ice tea
-Frozen fresh fruits are high in fluid content
-Sucking on lemon
-Avoid going out in sun for long
-Keep gargling your child's mouth, avoid swallowing

Foods to avoid:
-High in fat content
-High in salt content (salted pickled vegetables, olives, packaged soups, snacked foods-chips, carbonated drinks, baked products, ajinomoto, vegetables like -cauliflower, beetroot, coriander, carrot, spinach, lettuce, snakegourd, radish, etc.)

I hope this information helps XXXXXX, I wish your daughter and your family a long and healthy life. Do write back to me if there are any further clarifications. I would be more than happy to help you.

Best wishes.