Diagnosed with moderate mitral valve regurgitation. Did isometric exercises at gym. Can I do weight lifting?

Question
hi, I'm 33 years old and i was recently diagnosed with moderate mitral valve regurgitation ( "floppy valve"). I used to do isometric exercises at the gym ( weight lifitng). Can i keep doing weightlifitng at a lower weight, let's say 60-70 percent of what i used to do?
thank you
Posted Sun, 18 Aug 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 5 minutes later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Isometric exercises are not good for the heart.
It increases the intra thoracic pressure up to 40 mm Hg.
Stop the isometric
Go for isotonic / aerobic exercises – like jogging / treadmill....

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck

Follow-up: Diagnosed with moderate mitral valve regurgitation. Did isometric exercises at gym. Can I do weight lifting? 10 minutes later
hi,
thank you for the reply.
What if I did just some exercises like push ups and crunches combined with aerobics, would that be too much?

Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 5 hours later
Hello

It strains the heart...
It does not mean, it can not be tolerated
You have been doing them till the diagnosis was made - the condition is present from birth!
But, the wise course is to avoid them...better play safe, when there is alternative!