Diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse. Have facial tingling and numbness. Are they related?

Cardiac Surgeon
My 24 year old daughter called me yesterday, stated she has been having R sided facial tingling and numbness, stated her primary diagnosed symptoms expressed related to Mitral Valve Prolapse
Posted Tue, 26 Feb 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. F. Sadruddin Shariff 2 hours later

Mitral valve prolapse is a very common condition. It can be picked by auscultation and the echo will confirm it. But her facial tingling and numbness is not related to her diagnosis of Mitral Valve Prolapse, rather Mitral Valve Prolapse does not give rise to facial tingling and numbness.

Mitral Valve Prolapse also known as Borlow's Disease may give rise to various other situations in a minority of patients, notably mitral regurgitation. The facial tingling and numbness has to be investigated along other lines and conditions such as trigeminal neuralgia or herpes zoster or other neurological conditions may have to be ruled out.

Please visit your doctor's office for detailed neurological examination.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need further assistance.

Dr F Sadruddin Shariff