Diagnosed with minimally displaced fractured tibia plateau. Do you recommend surgery?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi. I was diagnosed with a minimally displaced fractured tibia plateau (3mm depression). I am 32 years old and live active lifestyle. Do you recommend surgery (Bone graph, plate and 2 screws) or let heal on its own?

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 6 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Surgery is recommended

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case with diligence.

For intra-articular fractures maintainace of articular congruity is very important.
Lower limb fractures affect gait [walking] cycle so it is very important to anatomically reduce fracture.
In your case tibial plateau fracture with 3 mm depression will require open reduction and XXXXXXX fixation with plate and screw.
Bone grafting can be modified by window and push technique rather than taking iliac crest graft.

Non weight bearing for few weeks is very important,and physiotherapy in form of CPM [continuous passive motion] can be started immediately after operation.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with minimally displaced fractured tibia plateau. Do you recommend surgery? 17 minutes later
Thank you. How complex is this procedure for an orthapedic trauma surgeon? What do you see as the risks associated with this surgery?
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
It dependes on experience of trauma surgeon

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

Its a routine procedure for trauma surgeon,complexity of procedure depends on experience of trauma surgeon. Its a routine procedure for me.

Risk associated with surgery is routine anaesthesia risk, blood loss,infection,
Post operative stiffness, non union,no anatomical reduction,arthritis.